Saturday 3 January 2015

Currently reading - My true love gave to me

This is actually a sneak peek on my London Book Haul :-)

The cover states: Twelve winter romances - Long cold nights are for falling in love.

This book consists of 12 short stories written by several authors and edited by Stephanie Perkins.

#1 Midnights by Rainbow Rowell ****
I really enjoyed this short story, it was cute, adorable. I liked the flashbacks to the different New Year's Eves and then everything wrapping up in the most recent one. The characters are relateable and sweet and you completely feel what they feel. I wouldn't mind reading a bit more about them :-)

#2 The Lady and the Fox by Kelly Link **
I didn't enjoy this one at all, simply because it didn't make sense to me. I worked my way through it, but I was glad when it was over. (Please note that this is my personal opinion!)

#3 Angels in the snow by Matt de la Pena ****1/2
This was so cute and heart-wrenching at the same time. It contained multiple aspects such as different races, wealth and poverty, fitting in... Such a great short story. 
I just found out over at April Brook's blog (go check her out, she does BookTube videos as well. She's one of my favourite BookTubers!!) that the main character in this novella is also the main character in de la Pena's full length novel, 'The Living'. One more book to add to my wish list :-) 

#4 Polaris is where you'll find me by Jenny Han ***1/2
A very short and cute short story. I really liked the setting of this - the North pole. I liked the main characters Natty and Flinn. It was cute to read how Nathalie - as a human - experienced life amongst Santa's elves.

#5 It's a Yuletide miracle, Charlie Brown by Stephanie Perkins ****1/2
Cute, funny, sweet, all in all the almost perfect short story. It was so lovely to read how the two main characters got to know each other during such a short period of time. I really liked Stephanie Perkins' writing style and I'll definitely read her Anna and the French Kiss series. 

#6 Your temporary Santa by David **1/2
This story was kind of meh. I liked the premise of a gay boy doing his boyfriend a favour by playing Santa for his little sister, but he was dealing with so many personal issues it became annoying. The story just fell short for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment