Saturday 13 August 2016

The Selection by Kiera Cass - non-spoiler review.

Hi booklovers

Today I'm going to review a book I've had on my wish list for ages, but since I wasn't sure whether or not I would like it I decided to get it from the library and that is The Selection by Kiera Cass.
Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Genre: YA, dystopia
Format: paperback

*Story:

The story begins with hundreds of girls receiving a letter inviting them to participate in 'the Selection', a chance to become crown prince Maxon's bride. One of these girls is America Singer, a talented musician. America doesn't want to participate but both her secret lover and mother insist that she does. Reluctantly, America does enter and of course she gets chosen to be one of the 35 contestants.

*Characters:
-America Singer:
She's a 'five' who's in love with Aspen, a boy from 'six'. (I had to stop myself from putting District in front of the numbers.) Although she doesn't want to, she decides to enter the Selection anyway. When she gets chosen to be one of the Selected, this is the perfect opportunity for her to get away from Aspen, since he told her he can't see her anymore. America constantly downplays her own qualities and beauty, which make her more loveable - at least according to the audience watching the Selection - but really got on my nerves.

-Aspen Leger:
America's secret lover. I found Aspen to be a typical 'male' because his pride doesn't let him appreciate what America does for him. He 'has to be' the caretaker and provider. Can you tell I'm not that fond of him?

-Prince Maxon:
He seems to be a very stiff, spoiled guy at first, but he's actually rather witty. Typical for his 'position', he doesn't seem to be aware of what goes on outside the palace. Being forced to choose a wife through 'the Selection' seems to bother him sometimes, but he can't do anything about it.

*Plot:

In this 'dystopian' world, the population is divided into castes. It's almost not done to marry into a lower caste. Each caste has its own 'profession' or 'talent'. Like I said before, I had a hard time not comparing this to the Hunger Games.

*Overall rating:
I went into this book with low expectations. Like I said, this book has been on my wishlist for a couple of years, but after hearing/seeing a lot of mixed reviews I put off buying it. In the end I decided to get it from the library and I'm glad I did. Glad because I didn't spend money on it. I enjoyed reading it and I flew through the story, but it also definitely has a lot of flaws.
The difference between America and the other girls is a bit too obvious, making her the one to stand out. We don't really get to know the other girls either, just how they behave towards Maxon or one another.
There is very little world building, it's more of an info dump, but nothing memorable. The caste system isn't explained very well either. Even though they talk about the differences between the castes, we don't really get to experience what it's like to live there.
SPOILER:
I also found that the story of the rebels wasn't done very well either.And of course, there is the typical YA trope: the love triangle :-s

I gave this book three stars, because even though this story isn't the best dystopian story I've ever read, I did find myself wanting to keep reading.
I've already read The Elite and also gave it three stars.

Have you read this book? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments.

Bye for now

Annelies

2 comments:

  1. Ohh great review I haven't read this book yet but after reading your review I will most definitely check it out from the library. And see if I like it or not thank you for the awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooww, thank you! And thanks for commenting. I was really hesitant to pick this up. In my review I say I'm glad I picked it up from the library, but after reading The Selection I've put the box of the series on my wishlist. They're not the best books out there, but they are quick, fun reads :-) Hope you enjoy the book when you get to it.

      Delete