Thursday 18 August 2016

Top 5 Wednesday #1 - August 17.

Hi booklovers

Today I'm posting my very first Top 5 Wednesday post. Top 5 Wednesday is a Goodreads group where every Wednesday you post your top 5 books about a certain topic.


This week's topic is 'Favourite First Sentences':


#5 The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
'In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.'


#4 The Voyage of the Dawn
Treader
by C.S. Lewis
'There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.'


#3 Wonder by R.J. Palacio
'I know I'm not an ordinary ten-year-old-kid. I mean, sure, I do ordinary things. I eat ice cream. I ride my bike. I play ball. I have an XBox. Stuff like that makes me ordinary. I guess. And I feel ordinary. Inside. But I know ordinary kids don't make other ordinary kids run away screaming in playgrounds. I know ordinary kids don't get stared at where they go.'

#2 Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
'I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expel me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign I have been sired by the god of death himself.'


#1 The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
'The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.'


What are some of your favourite first sentences? Let me know in the comments.

Bye for now

Annelies

No comments:

Post a Comment