Monday 27 June 2016

A Lost Legacy: Awakening by C.E. Dimond - spoiler free review

Hi booklovers

A while ago I started following author C.E. Diamond on Instagram and she was giving away review e-copies of her first book. The story sounded interesting so I decided to ask for a copy. So, here's my non-spoiler review. The fact that this was sent to me for free in return for an honest review doesn't affect my opinion of the book.
Author: C.E. Dimond
Genre: YA, paranormal, witches
Format: e-book

*Story:
Meet Finn - Fionnuala - a 16 year-old girl. It's the beginning of a new school year and she's not really looking forward to it. Luckily, her best friend Tyler will be there as well. Finn seems to be your average teenager, but she's been having these strange dreams lately. Strange things start to happen around her. Then she meets Eamon, who recently moved to her town. When Finn's mother disappears, Eamon comes to - reluctantly - help her and the story takes off from there.

*Characters:
-Finn: I liked Finn as a character. She goes through a lot of things very quickly, but she somehow manages to get through it more or less okay. Although, I did sometimes feel that this went a bit too smoothly, but more about that later.

-Tyler: We don't really get to know him that well yet, but I have a feeling we might get to see more of him in the next part of the story. He's not your typical football playing teenage boy with all the girls flocking around him. He's actually genuinly concerned about Finn. You can tell early on in the story that he's in love with Finn, although she doesn't seem to notice this.

-Eamon: At first, I hated Eamon with a passion. He is such an arrogant prick, who's a so full of himself. He redeemed himself a bit because of what happened in his pas, but he still wasn't my favourite character.

- Of all the side characters, I liked Neely best. He's a very likeable, down to earth kind of guy.

*Plot:
At first I found the story moved along very quickly, a bit too quickly to my liking. Everything started happening really fast and I felt like the author didn't really take the time to explain things well enough. I also thought that Finn accepted her new found abilities and everything that was happening to her a bit too easily. She doesn't question the things that are taking place enough in my opinion. This rapid succession of events also made me feel like the author jumped around a lot in the story (for lack of a better way to describe it). Later on the story became more coherent and I enjoyed it a lot more. The storyline is much more developped which definitely helps the story. There's also more worldbuilding later on in the book. I started to get more into the story and because of the sort of cliffhanger ending I'm curious to see what will happen next.

*Overall rating:
I gave this story 3.5 stars. I couldn't give it a higher rating because of the beginning of the story. Beware that there are still some spelling and punctuation errors in the story, but that didn't really bother me - I just highlighted them, because the teacher in me couldn't resist :-)

Will I be reading the sequel? (It doesn't come out until next year :-( ) I'm pretty sure I will. 
Will I be reading the prequel? I'm not sure yet, because the prequel is from Eamon's POV and I'm not his biggest fan. But the premise does sound pretty good, so who knows...
So, if you want to read a story about modern-time witches and warlocks, this could be the book for you.

I would like to thank to C.E. Dimond for the chance to read and review this book.

Bye for now

Annelies

No comments:

Post a Comment