Wednesday 19 April 2017

Prodigy by Marie Lu - non-spoiler review.

Hi booklovers

After finishing and really enjoying Legend (click on the title to read my non-spoiler review), I decided to pick up Prodigy and Champion from Fnac when they were having a 'buy 3 books, pay for 2' sale - the third book was Passenger. (I read this book in October 2016, I know, I'm so behind on posting reviews :-$)

Beware this will contain spoilers for Legend.

Title: Prodigy
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: YA, sci-fi, dystopia
Format: paperback
*Story:
The story of Prodigy picks up where Legend left off. June helped Day escape and now they are on their way to meet up with the Patriots. We follow their journey to the Patriots and everything that happens when and after they find them.

*Characters:
-Day: I liked Day even more in this story, he seems so much more human. He goes through a lot of changes and he even needs to start trusting people he always considered to be enemies.

-June: Opposite to Day, I liked June a bit less in this book. To me, she seemed, not really whiny, but still not the strong girl she was in Legend. True, she has to sacrifice a lot, but still.

-Tess: I liked that we got to see more of Tess in this book. I thought she was a very strong character. Day still feels the need to protect her, even though she is more than capable of taking care of herself.
SPOILER:
I really felt for her when her feelings for Day remained unrequited.

-Kaede: Another character I was glad to see more of. I like how honest she is in admitting that at first she worked with the Patriots just for the money.

-Razor: I never quite fathomed that character.

-Anden: He is the new Elector who came to power after the death of his father. He is a figure rising to power, struggling to be different from his father, but most of all he's a young man dealing with a whole lot of emotions.

*Plot/worldbuilding/overall rating:
Because the story doesn't solely take place in the Republic, it was nice to see the worldbuilding of the Colonies and the underground tunnels too.
I enjoyed this book, but it's wasn't until the last part that it really grabbed my attention and it became a 4 star read.
SPOILER:
One thing I didn't like was the love triangle or even the love square. This has become so cliché and I know it's part of the story, but I still didn't like it. That's why I was leaning towards 3.5 stars. The square becomes a triangle again when Tess decides to stay with the Patriots.
What really got to me was how in the end Day discovers that he is dying. When he says goodbye to June, my heart got ripped out of my chest.

Because of the cliffhanger ending I was really, really happy that I could immediately pick up Champion.

Have you read this book? Did you like/dislike it?

Bye for now

Annelies

No comments:

Post a Comment