Friday 2 February 2018

January 2018 wrap-up.

Hi booklovers

Since it's already the second day of February it's time to post my reading wrap-up for January.

In January I managed to read 4 books (3 physical books and 1 audiobook) and 1 graphic novel. I'm very happy with my reading. I have to admit, listening to audiobooks has really helped speed up my reading. I'm not as intimidated by big book as I used to be (although they still take me a while to get through, but I'm okay with that).

Anyhow, let's get into the wrap-up: 

1) The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. 
I read this book for the Of Wonderland bookclub on Goodreads. The theme for January was 'hyped books'. There was also a new feature for the group: buddy reads. So I buddy read this book with a bunch of other members and I really enjoyed discussing the book. However, I had a hard time getting into the book, so I ended up giving it 3.5 stars. I am intrigued to know what happens next, so I am going to continue with the series. I've written a spoiler-free review which you can find here

2) The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.
This was my second buddy read for the OW bookclub. This is a reread because I read it for the first time in April 2017. This was just as good as the first time I read it (5 stars). I want to continue with the trilogy (series) so I wanted to reread this one. I love this book, it has such a unique magic system. The world building and character development are just fantastic. I alternated between the physical book and the audiobook and that was a great experience. I really enjoy the voice of the narrator, he does a wonderful job. I still need to write my review of it. Hopefully, I'll be able to put it up soon.

3) Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire.
I listened to this novella on audio and I really enjoyed it even though it is a novella. Normally I'm left wanting, but that wasn't the case here. This is a very intriguing book about young people that went to a 'fairytale' land and came back and now they have to deal with everything they went through. I gave it 4.5 stars and I definitely want to continue with the companion books. Again, review to come.

4) Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff.
This was the third time I read it and it was also a buddy read for the OW bookclub. Obsidio is coming out in March, so a couple of members of the bookclub wanted to (re)read this book and Gemina to be prepared for the final book. I loved it (5 stars). As with The Final Empire I alternated between the physical book and the audiobook. The cast of voices really adds to the listening experience. And you guessed it, three is a charm: review to come.

5) The Boys volume 2: Get some by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson.
This is so weird and twisted and I really enjoyed it even though I found it a bit confusing at times. I gave it 4 stars.

How was your reading month? Did you enjoy the books you read? Let me know in the comments.

Bye for now

Annelies
 

No comments:

Post a Comment