Saturday 7 February 2015

January 2015 wrap up

Hi booklovers

I know this blogpost may be a bit redundant, but I want to write it anyway. (Redundant because you can check what I've read in January on my 2015 Reads page.) Also, I know this post is a bit late...

In January I managed to read three books. You might think that isn't very much, but for me this is a good number. I know people think teachers always have all this spare time and I'll be the first to admit that we have a lot of holidays, but during the school year, we are very busy most of the time. This week my pupils got a report card so this meant a lot my time went to marking tests, entering grades and commenting on them. So most of my reading takes place during my holidays. To give you an example, I read 19 books during my two month summer break :-)
I know a lot of bookbloggers and BookTubers read a lot more books during a single month, but I simply don't have the time to do that. Good for you if you can do that and I wish I could do that too, but alas...

Anyway, let's talk about the three books I read in January:

1)  Breaking the rules by Katie McGarry. Katie McGarry is one of the authors I discovered last year and I absolutely fell in love with her books. Echo and Noah and Rachel and Isaiah are two of my all time favourite couples. So far, I've read all of the books in her companion series that starts with Pushing the Limits. Since reading that book, I know that all of Katie McGarry's books will be automatic buys from now on :-)
Maybe I should talk a bit more about the actual book :-) I'm not going to tell you that much, because that might spoil Pushing the Limits. It's a sequel that picks up where PTL left off. Because I read the other books in the series, it took me a while to realise that the events of the other books hadn't taken place yet. But other than that I absolutely loved the book. It has great character development. You see the characters grow through all the ordeals they have to deal with. I also thought Katie's writing evolved a lot. I had the feeling that she dared to go deeper. I'm not sure how to explain it, but the content was a bit more mature than PTL. Don't get me wrong, it is still a YA book, but she didn't shy away from all the aspects of a relationship.
If you like contemporary with an edge, you should definitely pick up this companion series (I do advise reading them in the order they came out - except for BTR, you can read it immediately after PTL)

2) The Elder Origins by Bre Faucheux. I have a review of this. This was the first book I read by her. I really liked it and I'll be reading the sequels too, as well as some of her other books. Bre is a currently a self-published author but I hope her books get picked up by a publisher very soon because she deserves it.

3) Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes. I absolutely loved this book and I'm currently reading Rebel Spring. I'm going to post both a non-spoiler and a spoiler review for this.

I'm not going to do a February TBR, because monthly TBR's aren't my thing, but I've made a winter TBR.

That was it for this month's reading. Let me know in the comments if you've read any of these books and what you thought of them or if you want to read any of them.

Bye for now

Annelies

No comments:

Post a Comment