Monday 5 March 2018

February 2018 - wrap-up.

Hi booklovers

February has come and gone, so it's time to post my reading wrap-up.
I read 4 books (3 physical books and 1 e-book) and I listened to 1 audiobook.

I am very proud of myself because two of these books are considered tomes (500+ pages), so to read them both in the same month is a real accomplishment for me :-) *pets oneself on the back*

After rereading The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson I picked up a couple of other books, before daring to continue the series. I hardly every binge-read books in a series, because I don't want to put myself into a slump or feel the need the read something else halfway through the next book (if that makes sense). But at one point early on in February The Well of Ascension was really beckoning me to pick it up and so I did. I only realised that this book has 700+ pages after I had already started it. But I didn't let that intimidate me. I buddyread this book with Lucie.
I will be posting a full review later on, but it's safe to say that I loved this book just as much as TFE. I loved the characters, the world-building, the action. It was really fascinating to find out more about allomancy and feruchemy. I'm currently reading The Hero of Ages and I'm really enjoying it a lot.
Next, I picked up Gemina in preparation of Obsidio being released this month. This was again a reread and this time I listened to the audiobook and I loved it just as much as the first time around. Rereading this has made me a bit scared to pick up the third book, because I don't want this story to end. I'm curious to see how Amie and Jay will wrap up the story, but I'm scared that my heart is going to be broken.
After reading these two massive books I felt like picking up something completely different (and significantly shorter) and since I had a school holiday, I decided to go back to one of my guilty pleasure genres: NA. It's been about 6 months since I last read a book by Becca & Krista Ritchie, so I decided to start Damaged Like Us. This is kind of a spin-off series from the Addicted and Calloway Sisters series, although you don't have to read these to be able to read the 'Like Us' series. I did find, however, that having read both those series it did add something to the reading experience of DLU. Like I said, these kinds of NA reads are my guilty pleasure reads, but I really, really, really enjoy the twin's writing style. Btw, this was the first male-male romance story I've read and I was a bit scared that the sex scenes were going to be cringe worthy, but that wasn't the case at all. On the contrary! The only problem with this book, in my opinion, is that there was a bit too much representation. I know Maximoff, our main character, has a lot of nieces and nephews, but a lot of them seem to be 'different' and/or 'special'. As always with this genre, this book caused serious sleep deprevation, because I can't seem to be able to put down these kinds of books.
I then picked up a new audiobook: Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire. This is a companion story to Every Heart a Doorway. This is completely different from the first one, and despite finding it confusing at times I really enjoyed it. The reason  I found it confusing is that this is the story of how Jack and Jill came to be who they are and why they did the things they did in Every Heart a Doorway, but in the first part of this story their personalities are totally different from their personalities in the first book. I am happy, though, that I listened to it, because it was very nice to get the twin's background story.
The final book I read in February was one of my most anticipated releases of 2018: Immortal Reign by Morgan Rhodes. This is the last book in the 'Falling Kingdom' series and I really wanted to know what would happen to my beloved characters. I enjoyed the book and it was a pretty good conclusion to the series, but I wasn't overwhelmed by it. In my opinion, a lot of the 'issues' were resolved a bit too 'easily' and wrapped up too nicely. Still, it was a good conclusion to the series and I'm happy that I finished it very soon after getting it :-)
How was your reading month? What did you read? Did you enjoy what you read? Let me know in the comments.

Bye for now

Annelies

No comments:

Post a Comment