Wednesday 17 April 2019

WWW Wednesday - April 17th

Hi booklovers

Today I thought I'd try something new :-)

"Welcome to WWW Wednesday! This meme was formerly hosted by MizB at A Daily Rhythm and revived on Taking on a World of Words. Just answer the three questions below and leave a link to your post in the comments for others to look at. No blog? No problem! Just leave a comment with your responses. Please, take some time to visit the other participants and see what others are reading. So, let’s get to it!"

I found this on Nadine's blog.

The Three Ws are: 
What are you currently reading?
What did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you’ll read next?

Currently reading:
I'm actually reading three books at the moment.

Spellslinger by Sebastien de Castell
I just started this one today and I'm reading it for my Transfiguration O.W.L.: book with a red cover or sprayed edges. This one actually has both.
I'm only 28 pages in so I can't really say all that much about it. I've read the first book in de Castells Greytcoats series and I loved that, so I'm curious about this one. I've heard some mixed things about it.

This is the fourth book in the Coincidence series. Even though I mostly read fantasy books I'm sometimes in the mood for some (contemporary) NA (especially when I'm on a school holiday, because I tend to read past my bedtime when reading NA :-D ).
I usually like my NA to be of the angsty kind. However, I found the first two books in this series (about Callie and Kayden) to have just the right amount of angst, but book three (the first one about Violet & Luke) to be a bit too angsty. I'm curious to see where this one will go.

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan
I'm listening to the audiobook of this one for my History of Magic O.W.L.: a book that was published 10 or more years ago.
I have about 10 hours left of the audiobook and I'm enjoying it very much. This is actually my second time listening to this book. I have a long history with this huge series. I started reading it about ten years ago but I didn't read the entire series back then. Three years ago I discovered audiobooks and I started listening to this series, but I never got past book 4. This year I really want to get further into the series, so I decided to relisten to the first books and then continue and finally finish this 14-books series.
Recently finished:
Shadow Me by Tahereh Mafi
This is book #4.5 in the Shatter Me series and it's the third novella in this series. I recently reread the original trilogy so I could finally read Restore Me and this one.
I really enjoyed seeing the events through Kenji's POV. We really got to see a different side of him and we got some backstory for him. I'm definitely picking up Defy Me.
I read this for my Potions O.W.L.: a sequel.
The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins
This one is completely different from the book by Robert Jordan. This is actually a retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairy tale “The Singing Bone”, which I actually don't know anything about.
This was a bit predictable at times (even though my guess for the ending was not correct) and it definitely has a couple of typical YA tropes.
I liked the interpretation of magic and I'll probably pick up the conclusion to the duology even though I'm a bit scared that it will be too focused on the romance.
(This is the review I wrote on Goodreads and when I first finished it, I went online to see if I could get the sequel. But now that a couple of days have passed, I'm feeling less inclined to get the sequel. We'll see how I feel about it in a couple of weeks/months.)
I read this for my Ancient Runes O.W.L.: a retelling.
 
What's next?
I am very much a mood reader, so predicting what my next read is going to be isn't easy for me. Since I'm still taking part in the O.W.L.s magical readathon for the rest of the month I'll probably read books that fit some of the prompts.
Maybe I'll go for
Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb
This is the third book in the Liveship Trades trilogy and I really want to know how the story ends. I love Hobbs writing and even though I'm a non-native English reader I have no trouble getting through these easily (I alternate between reading the physical book and listening to the audiobook).

Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
This is the story of two sisters, who happen to be princesses. Theirs is a world in which those who die in glory return as gods to live confined to a pantheon in Hallandren's capital city. A world transformed by a power based on an essence known as breath. Using magic is arduous as breath can only be collected one unit at a time.


So far, I've really enjoyed all the books I've read by Sanderson and I've heard this one is a lot of fun.

Both these books could go towards the Charms O.W.L.: age line: read an adult work.

The problem with these are that they are both chunky books and thus not ideal for readathons.

So I might pick up this one instead
Brieven van Marie (Letters from Marie) by Lize Feryn
This is in Dutch and it's a companion book to the Flemish tv-series called In Flanders Fields about World War I. The first book was Maries diary and this is a collection of letters Marie writes after the war has ended.
This one could go towards the Herbology O.W.L.: plant on the cover.

Have you read any of these books or are you planning to read any of them? Let me know in the comments.

Bye for now

Annelies


2 comments:

  1. So many great books featured here! I've always wanted to read the Robert Jordan books but never got around to it - I'm intrigued to see you're enjoying the audiobooks too though because I have a lot more commuting time suddenly! I've got The Great Hunt (the Wendy Higgins one!) but I haven't started it yet - your review confirms my pre-reading suspicions about it, so I probably will pick it up at some point but not in a hurry. In terms of what's up next, I'm a HUGE Robin Hobb fan so would 100% recommend Ship of Magic ;) Good luck with whatever is up next and the rest of the OWLs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment!
      I just saw on your blog that you're going to be a teacher :-) Cool, I'm a teacher as well, so thanks to the Easter break, I've had a lot of reading time as well :-)
      The Jordan books are quite a time investment, but so worth it in my opinion, especially the audiobooks. I love Michael Kramer and Kate Reading as narrators.
      Have you read all the Hobb books? Which ones are your favourites?

      Delete