Wednesday 17 July 2019

WWW Wednesday July 17th - Readathon updates

Hi booklovers

"Welcome to WWW Wednesday! This meme was formerly hosted by MizB at A Daily Rhythm and revived on Taking on a World of Words. Just answer the three questions below and leave a link to your post in the comments for others to look at. No blog? No problem! Just leave a comment with your responses. Please, take some time to visit the other participants and see what others are reading. So, let’s get to it!"

I found this on Nadine's blog.

The Three Ws are: 
What are you currently reading?
What did you recently finish reading?
What do you think you’ll read next?

Currently reading
This is the third week of both the MedievalAThon and the IronTomeAThon.

On Monday I started King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence and I'm currently on page 306 out of 597. 

I feel so slow because it took me nearly 20 chapters before I realised that when it says 'Four years earlier' the entire chapter is a flashback and when it says 'Wedding Day' it is the present day *insert face palm emoji here*.
Now that I've figured it out, I'm actually enjoying the book a lot more!
I'm alternating between listening to the audiobook and reading the physical copy.
This goes towards the prompt of King's Landing for the IronTomeAThon and the prompt that will earn me a crown in the MedievalAThon and grant me the rank of knight (meaning I've read three books).
This is only the second book I'm reading for the IronTomeAThon.

Recently finished
The first book I read for both readathons was Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. 

This is the second time I've read this and it is still a very solid 5 star read. I'm rereading NN and Godsgrave in preparation for the release of Darkdawn in September. I'm going to want to read that one as soon as it comes out, even though I know my heart is will be ripped to pieces and I'll probably suffer from a major bookhangover.
I love this book, it's dark, it's gritty, it's graphic and it has tons of humour. And even though I knew what would happen towards the end it still got to me big time!

MedievalAThon: I earned the rank of peasant and my daggers with this book.
IronTomeAThon: Oldtown + 428 points.

Because I knew nothing fantasy related would live up to NN immediately after finishing it, I decided to pick up a contemporary NA story: Masquerade by Nyrae Dawn. 
I enjoyed it and it was just what I needed to not go into into a reading slump. This is the final book in the Games trilogy and we follow Maddox, Layne's (the MC from the second book) brother. All three books are companion novels with appearances of the characters from the previous books. Since this is the third one, I can't say much more about the plot. What I can say is that both MC's have their pasts haunting them and they need to find ways to deal with it. This one leans heavily on the one-night-stand turning into something more trope. It was the right balance between angst, drama and sexy times (without the sexual content being too graphic).

Then I read my second book for the Medievalathon, Legendary by Stephanie Garber. 
Even though this is also a reread it took me much longer to finish than I'd anticipated :-s I also didn't enjoy it as much as the first time around. I think my reading tastes have changed a lot over the last two years. This makes me fear for Finale, the last book in the trilogy. I've chosen that one for the prompt to earn me a cape, but I'm not sure if I'll be picking it up this month.

MedievalAThon: I earned the rank of squire and a breastplate with this one.
IronTomeAThon: nothing because this is YA.

What's next?
I still have a few books I want to read for both readathons, but I'm not sure which one I'll be picking up. Here are some of the most likely ones:

The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks.
Malice by John Gwynne.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30841984-kings-of-the-wyld?ac=1&from_search=true
Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames.
Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell.
Any suggestions on what I should pick up first? Let me know in the comments.

Bye for now

Annelies

No comments:

Post a Comment